Whenever you purchase a ticket to a sporting event, you truly never know if you’ve just purchased a small piece of history. Last night on a snowy winter night in early February, the Vancouver Giants fans who braved the rain and snow to attend a home game against the Tri-City Americans did exactly that. Over the course of their 1340 career regular season games, the Vancouver Giants had never scored 12 goals in a game until last night. Twice previously the Giants had recorded 11 goals in a game, and three times they’d managed 10. But after last night, the 2019-20 Vancouver Giants stand alone in the Vancouver Giants history book.
A RECAP OF DOUBLE-DIGIT OUTBURSTS FROM THE GIANTS
Let’s re-visit last night’s game, along with three other recent double-digit offensive outbursts from the Vancouver Giants:
Tuesday, February 4th, 2020 vs. Tri-City (12-4)
17 different Vancouver Giants recorded at least one point as the Giants earned a 12-4 home victory over the Tri-City Americans.
- Tyler Preziuso and Michal Kvasnica were the only Giants with two goals.
- Cole Shepard led all Giants with four assists.
- Only three of the 12 Giants goals came via the power play.
- Holden Katzalay led the Giants with a +5 rating.
- As of February 5th, the Kamloops Blazers were the only other WHL team to record 12 goals in a game during the 2019-20 season. Both Lethbridge and Brandon scored 11.
FEBRUARY 4TH, 2020 BOX SCORE
Friday, November 18th, 2011 vs. Victoria (11-3)
Neil Manning and Dalton Sward both recorded hat-tricks for the Giants during an 11-3 home victory over the Victoria Royals.
- Marek Tvrdon led all Giants with two goals and three assists for five points.
- The Giants went 5/7 on the power play.
- At one point that night the Giants led 10-0 before Steve Hodges broke up Adam Morrison’s shutout at 7:52 of the third period.
- Vancouver was one of five teams that season to score 11 in a game. The others were: Brandon, Tri-City, Portland and Saskatoon.
NOVEMBER 18TH, 2011 BOX SCORE
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 vs. Lethbridge (11-1)
During the 2010 Winter Olympics the G-Men used the Langley Events Centre as their home base while the Pacific Coliseum was occupied. In just his fourth game back with the Giants after returning from the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning, James Wright led the Giants with a goal and three assists in an 11-1 route of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.
- Only one of the Giants 11 goals that night came on the power play.
- Six Vancouver skaters that night (Connauton, Bouma, Gallagher, Cunningham, Wright and Vincour) would all go on to play NHL games.
- Mark Segal stopped 16 of 17 shots to earn the win in goal.
- The lone Lethbridge goal came courtesy of Carter Bancks early in the second period.
FEBRUARY 3RD, 2010 BOX SCORE
Friday, November 16th, 2018 vs. Regina (10-4)
The Vancouver Giants kicked off White Spot Legends Weekend with a bang last season during a 10-4 home victory over the Regina Pats.
- Milos Roman (2G, 1A) and Davis Koch (3A) both had three points.
- 14 different Giants recorded at least one point.
- Three of the 10 Vancouver goals came via the power play.
- Ironically, the top offensive performer that night was Regina forward Nick Henry who led all scorers with three goals and one assist.
NOVEMBER 16TH, 2018 BOX SCORE