The Vancouver Giants and Seattle Thunderbirds are heading South of the border with their first-round series tied 1-1. Saturday night at the Langley Events Centre in front of 3726-strong the Seattle Thunderbirds defeated the Vancouver Giants by a 4-1 score. Seattle struck twice in the first period and twice in the third and got 39 saves from Roddy Ross. Nolan Volcan led all Seattle skaters with a goal and two assists. Jadon Joseph had the Giants lone goal which came late in the first period on a power play.
SEA – Sean Richards opened the scoring for Seattle at 4:38 when his shot from the left-wing snuck past the glove of Trent Miner.Jaxan Kaluski and Simon Kubicek earned assists.
SEA – Then at 15:09 the T-Birds took a 2-0 lead when Simon Kubicek blasted home his first of the playoffs off a shot from the point on the power play. Sean Richards and Nolan Volcan assisted on the first power play goal of the series for the T-Birds.
VAN – Back came the Giants on a power play of their own. Jadon Joseph parked himself in front of the Thunderbirds goal and redirected home a feed from Milos Roman at 18:10 to secure his second goal of the playoffs. Davis Koch had the second assist.
Shots: 12-8 Vancouver
Shots: 11-9 Vancouver
SEA – 4:33 into the final period Seattle extended their lead to 3-1 when Andrej Kukuca raced down the right-wing and placed a perfect shot past the stick of Miner and in for his second of the series.
SEA – Nolan Volcan ended all hopes of a Vancouver comeback at 17:58 when he potted his first of the playoffs into an empty net.
Shots: 17-11 Vancouver
Final Score: Seattle 4 – Vancouver 1 (Series Tied: 1-1)
Final Shots: 40-28 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 24/27 saves for Vancouver (1-1)
Roddy Ross: 39/40 saves for Seattle (1-1)
Vancouver: 1/4 on the power play
Seattle: 1/2 on the power play
- Andrej Kukuca (SEA – 1G)
- Roddy Ross (SEA – 39 Saves)
- Jadon Joseph (VAN – 1G)
Next Giants Game: Tuesday night at 7:05 PM in Seattle for Game #3.
- Dating back to the regular season, Jadon Joseph has now scored goals in three straight games for the Vancouver Giants.
- For a second straight game the Giants outshot the Seattle Thunderbirds by the exact same 40-28 margin.
- Giants forward Justin Sourdif did not play in Game #2. He was injured after he was crosschecked into the Seattle net in the final seconds of Game #1 by T-Birds defenceman Jake Lee. Jake Lee also did not play in Game #2 as he served the first game of a suspension that’s full length has still yet to be finalized by the WHL.
- The Giants were 2-0 during the regular season at ShoWare Center posting victories of 4-2 (November 21) and 5-1 (March 12).