Saturday night in Kent, WA the Vancouver Giants (28-20-3-2) captured their ninth straight victory with a 6-2 triumph over the Seattle Thunderbirds (21-26-3-3). Calgary Flames prospect Milos Roman scored once in each period while Tristen Nielsen (1G, 2A), Trevor Longo (1G, 1A) and Holden Katzalay (2A) all recorded multi-point games. Between the pipes, David Tendeck stopped 21 of Seattle’s 23 shots to earn his seventh straight victory. Matthew Rempe and Mekai Sanders had the goals for Seattle. The Vancouver win, coupled with Victoria’s loss in Kamloops moves the G-Men within two points of second in the B.C. Division standings.
GIANTS EXTEND WINNING STREAK TO NINE
VAN – 3:10 into the first, Milos Roman (19) one-timed an Eric Florchuk feed past Seattle’s Roddy Ross on a power play to give the Giants a 1-0 lead. Tyler Preziuso also assisted.
SEA – Seattle tied the game at 9:31 when rookie Mekai Sanders (2) tipped home a feed from Cade McNelly.
VAN – Tristen Nielsen (27) restored the Giants lead at 17:38 off a shorthanded rush down the left-wing. Nielsen’s goal was set up by both Trevor Longo and David Tendeck.
VAN – Bowen Byram (8) increased the Giants lead to 3-1 at 19:09 off a shot from the left-wing point that made its way through traffic and home off a faceoff victory. Holden Katzalay and Cole Shepard both earned assists.
Shots: 10-7 Vancouver
VAN – Milos Roman’s (20) second goal of the night came at 4:37 off a slick three-way passing sequence with Tristen Nielsen and Alex Kannok Leipert.
SEA – Matthew Rempe (10) moved Seattle back within two at 11:56 on a power play. Rempe parked himself in front of the Giants goal and knocked home a Connor Roulette rebound.
Shots: 12-9 Vancouver
VAN – Milos Roman (21) recorded his first career WHL hat-trick just 61 seconds into the third period off a one-timer from the high slot. Roman’s goal was set up by both Justin Sourdif and Tristen Nielsen.
VAN – The final Giants goal of the night came courtesy of Trevor Longo (5) off the rush at 15:21. Michal Kvasnica and Holden Katzalay drew the helpers.
Shots: 10-7 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 6 – Seattle 2
Final Shots: 32-23 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 21/23 saves for Vancouver (17-13-1-1)
Roddy Ross: 26/32 saves for Seattle (17-19-3-3)
Vancouver Power Play: 1/3
Seattle Power Play: 1/5
- Milos Roman (VAN – 3 Goals)
- Tristen Nielsen (VAN – 1 Goal, 2 Assists)
- Mekai Sanders (SEA – 1 Goal)
Next Game: A rematch with Seattle on Monday afternoon at 2:00 PM at the LEC.
- Milos Roman became the second Giant this season to record a hat-trick. Eric Florchuk also scored three goals back on January 17th against Victoria.
- Eric Florchuk (10 games), Justin Sourdif (9 games), Bowen Byram (8 games) all extended their lengthy point streaks on Saturday.
- Tristen Nielsen has now scored in four straight games for Vancouver. He has a team-high 14 multi-point games.
- Saturday marked Kaden Kohle’s 100th career game.
- Goaltender David Tendeck has earned assists in back-to-back games.