This afternoon in Victoria the Vancouver Giants take to the ice for their final regular season meeting of the season with the Victoria Royals. So far this weekend the Giants are 2-0 against Victoria having defeated them 3-0 (Friday at home) and 6-2 (last night on the road). The G-Men enter the day ranked second in the B.C. Division standings and could create four points of separation from the Royals with a regulation victory this afternoon.
Head Coach: Dan Price
Home Record: 18-10-1-1
Last 10: 3-5-1-1
Record vs. VAN: 3-6
Goals For/Goals Against: 164/178 (-14)
Power Play: 21.6% (11th)
Penalty Kill: 80.7% (8th)
Leading Scorers: Brayden Tracey (19-36-55), Gary Haden (23-29-52), Tarun Fizer (17-31-48)
THE CAPTAIN DELIVERS:
With eight goals and two assists in his past nine games, Royals captain Phillip Schultz has provided a strong spark as of late for the Victoria Royals. The 2000-born product of Rodovre, DEN has 16 goals and nine assists for 25 points on the season. In eight games against Vancouver, Schultz has three goals along with one assist. Last night Schultz’s shorthanded breakaway in the second period put Victoria on the board and provided a shot of life for the crowd. In 102 career WHL games, Schultz has 35 goals and 26 assists for 61 points.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT:
- Tarun Fizer led the Royals with eight shots on goal.
- Keanu Derungs and Phillip Schultz each recorded their third goal of the season against the Giants.
- Despite being outscored 2-0 in the third, the Royals outshot the Giants 12-6.
- Connor Martin became the fifth Royals goaltender to see action against the Giants this season. The other four are: Shane Farkas (Currently injured), Brock Gould (traded), Adam Evanoff, and Keegan Maddocks.
- Four Royals are tied for the lead in scoring against the Giants with four points each: Keanu Derungs, Phillip Schultz, Gary Haden and Tarun Fizer.
- The Royals power play is 2/28 on the season against Vancouver.
- In their three victories against Vancouver this season, the Royals have outscored the Giants 7-3.
Head Coach: Michael Dyck
Road Record: 14-11-2-1
Last 10: 9-1-0-0
Record vs. VIC: 6-3
Goals For/Goals Against: 179 GF/149 GA (+30)
Power Play: 21.4% (12th)
Penalty Kill: 80.5% (9th)
Leading Scorers: Tristen Nielsen (29-32-61), Eric Florchuk (21-34-55), Justin Sourdif (24-27-51)
- The Giants finished February with an 11-1 record. They were 8-0 at home, and 3-1 on the road.
- In 12 February games, Bowen Byram has now recorded seven goals and 17 assists for 24 points.
- Eric Florchuk had five goals and 13 assists for 18 points in 11 February games. He had points in 11/12 games.
- The Giants surrendered three or fewer goals against in 10 of their 12 games in February.
- Trent Miner went 6-1 in seven February games.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT:
- Bowen Byram (3 Assists), Holden Katzalay (1G, 1A), Cole Shepard (1G, 1A) and Michal Kvasnica (1G, 1A) all had multi-point games.
- Michal Kvasnica (4 shots) and Bowen Byram (6 shots) combined for 10 of the Giants 25 shots.
- Nine different Giants recorded at least one point.
- Trent Miner stopped 29/31 Victoria shots to improve his record to 3-0 against Victoria this season.
- When leading after two periods, the Vancouver Giants are 24-0-1-0.
- The Giants are 17-7-3-2 against the B.C. Division.
- Vancouver is 25-0 when they’ve scored four or more goals.
- The G-Men have outscored the Victoria Royals 30-15 through nine games.