Chapter two of this weekend’s three-in-three showdown between the Vancouver Giants and Victoria Royals goes down tonight at the Save on Foods Memorial Centre. Last night at home the Vancouver Giants earned a 3-0 victory on the strength of Trent Miner’s 18 saves, and multi-point efforts from Bowen Byram and Tyler Preziuso. The Giants head into action tonight ranked second in the B.C. Division standings due to the two fewer games they’ve played compared to the Royals. The Giants have defeated the Royals in four straight meetings, and are looking for their third win in four tries against Victoria away from home.
Head Coach: Dan Price
Home Record: 18-9-1-1
Last 10: 4-4-1-1
Record vs. VAN: 3-5
Goals For/Goals Against: 162 GF/172 GA (-10)
Power Play: 22.2% (8th)
Penalty Kill: 80.9% (7th)
Leading Scorers: Brayden Tracey (19-36-55), Gary Haden (23-29-52), Tarun Fizer (17-31-48)
ABOUT LAST NIGHT:
Last night at the LEC the Victoria Royals fell 3-0 to the Giants. That said, there were some encouraging takeaways for Victoria:
- Goaltender Adam Evanoff stopped 32 of Vancouver’s 34 shots. (.941 save percentage).
- Tarun Fizer led all Royals with four shots on goal.
- The Royals penalty kill was 2/2. One of those two penalties was a five-minute major.
HOME SWEET HOME:
The Victoria Royals come into tonight’s game boasting a home record of 18-9-1-1. The Royals are 4-1-0-1 at home during the month of February and have outscored their opponents 85-71 (+14) through 29 home contests. The Royals are 1-2 against the Giants at home. Here’s a recap of the three previous home meetings for the Royals against the Giants:
Vancouver 6 @ Victoria 2 (Jan 18 2020)
Vancouver 2 @ Victoria 1 (Dec 27 2019)
Vancouver 1 @ Victoria 3 (Dec 4 2019)
- Gary Haden, Keanu Derungs and Phillip Schultz have all scored two goals against Vancouver.
- Gary Haden (2G, 2A) and Tarun Fizer (1G, 3A) lead the Royals with four points each against the Giants.
- 10 different Victoria Royals have scored at least once against Vancouver this season.
- In four games against Vancouver, Adam Evanoff is 0-4 with a 3.79 goals-against-average and an .880 save percentage.
Head Coach: Michael Dyck
Road Record: 13-11-2-1
Last 10: 9-1-0-0
Record vs. VIC: 5-3
Goals For/Goals Against: 173 GF/147 GA (+26)
Power Play: 21.3% (11th)
Penalty Kill: 80% (9th)
Leading Scorers: Tristen Nielsen (28-32-60), Eric Florchuk (20-33-53), Justin Sourdif (24-26-50)
BYRAM’S EPIC MONTH:
During the month of February, Giants defenceman Bowen Byram has been one of the many consistent performers for the Vancouver Giants. Below are some February facts pertaining to Bowen Byram:
- In 11 February games, Bowen Byram has seven goals and 14 assists for 21 points.
- Byram scored goals in five straight games from February 12th through February 21st.
- Since January 31st, Byram has accumulated nine multi-point games in a span of 12 games.
- Bowen Byram is a +14 in February.
In six games against Victoria this season, Bowen Byram has two goals and three assists for five points.
NOTHING MINER ABOUT IT:
Trent Miner’s 18 save shutout helped backstop the Giants to their 31st victory of the season last night at home. For the season Miner’s record now sits at 13-8-2-1 with one shutout, a 2.60 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage. In two meetings against Victoria this season, Miner’s record is 2-0 with a goals-against average of 1.00 and .949 save percentage. Miner is 4-2-0-1 lifetime against the Victoria Royals during the regular season.
- Justin Sourdif leads the Giants with four goals and four assists against Victoria.
- Bowen Byram recorded his 100th career assist last night against the Royals.
- Milos Roman (2G, 4A) and Cole Shepard (2G, 4A) both have six points on the season against Victoria.
- The Giants are 20/22 on the penalty kill against Victoria this season.
- Over their past 10 road games, the Giants are 6-2-1-1.