The Western Conference Championship Series has shifted to Spokane, WA for Game #3. The Vancouver Giants bring a 2-0 series lead into tonight’s matchup and can take a mega stranglehold on the series with a victory tonight at the Spokane Arena. The Giants are coming off a spirited 4-2 come-from-behind victory in Game 2 on Saturday night and now the Chiefs are looking to hold serve at home. Tonight’s game goes at 7:05 PM.
RADIO – WHL LIVE
Head Coach: Dan Lambert
Home Record: 4-2
Goals For/Goals Against: 39 GF/33 GA (+6)
Power Play: 12/29 – 41.4% (1st in the WHL)
Penalty Kill: 26/36 – 81.2% (4th in WHL)
Leading Scorers: Riley Woods (12GP – 6G – 6A – 12PTS), Jaret Anderson-Dolan (12GP – 4G – 7A – 11PTS), Adam Beckman (12GP – 6G – 4A – 10PTS)
‘DOLAN’ OUT THE GOALS:
LA Kings prospect Jaret Anderson-Dolan scored the second goal for the Chiefs in Game #2 and has been one of the Chiefs most noticeable threats offensively so far in the series. Through 12 playoff games he’s registered 11 points, four of which have been goals. In 26 career playoff games he’s struck for seven goals and 16 assists for 23 points.
BUILD OFF THE FIRST 40:
The Spokane Chiefs staked themselves to a 2-0 lead in Game 2 and through 40 minutes were the better team in many areas. Defensively they kept the Giants to the outside, and did not allow them to utilize their speed through the neutral-zone because of their positioning. There are plenty of positives that the Chiefs can take into tonight’s Game 3 and they’ll have a jacked up crowd behind them tonight at home.
- The Chiefs are 0/4 on the power play so far in the series.
- Chiefs goaltender Bailey Brkin has stopped 67 of the 73 shots he’s faced through the first two games of the series.
- Jake McGrew leads all Chiefs with nine shots through two games of the series.
- The Chiefs were 24-7-0-3 at home during the regular season.
- The Chiefs were 1-1 against the Giants at home during the regular season.
Head Coach: Michael Dyck
Road Record: 4-1
Goals For/Goals Against: 49 GF/25 GA (+24)
Power Play: 13/37 – 35.1% (2nd in WHL)
Penalty Kill: 32/41 – 78.0% (8th in WHL)
Leading Scorers: Davis Koch (12GP – 2G – 13A – 15PTS), Bowen Byram (12GP – 5G – 9A – 14PTS), Jared Dmytriw (12GP – 6G – 6A – 12PTS)
SO ‘HOLT’ RIGHT NOW:
Giants forward Dawson Holt was named WHL Player of the Week after posting two goals and two assists for four points in the first two games of the series. For the postseason, Holt has tallied four times and added seven assists for 11 points and has a +9 rating. In 19 career playoff games, Holt has notched 19 points. He and his linemates Jared Dmytriw and Owen Hardy have combined for 14 goals and 33 points during the playoffs.
STACKING THE ‘DECK’:
Not to be outdone was Giants goaltender David Tendeck who was named WHL Goaltender of the Week after posting a 2-0 record with a .947 save percentage and a 1.50 goals-against-average. Tendeck has now won each of his past five starts and has surrendered two goals or fewer in all five of those appearances.
- The Giants power play has scored in all but one game so far during the playoffs.
- In his last four games, Jared Dmytriw has scored four goals and added three assists for seven points.
- 14 different Giants have now scored at least once so far in the playoffs.
- Davis Koch leads all WHL skaters with 13 assists.
- Owen Hardy leads the WHL in playoff plus-minus with a +14 rating.
- The Giants have won two of their previous three meetings in Spokane dating back to the 2017-18 regular season.