Giants forward Tristen Nielsen is on a roll. Friday night in Moose Jaw, Nielsen paced the Vancouver Giants (5-5) offense with two goals and an assist in a 4-1 victory over the Moose Jaw Warriors (5-2). Justin Sourdif and Lukas Svejkovsky also scored while goaltender David Tendeck made 25 saves in the Giants net. Owen Hardy had the lone goal in response for Moose Jaw.
BOX SCORE – VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS
NIELSEN’S BIG NIGHT LIFTS GIANTS TO VICTORY
MJ – The lone goal of the night for Moose Jaw came 3:29 into the first period from Owen Hardy. Hardy followed up a Brayden Tracey rebound to secure his third goal of the season. The goal was originally waived off, but after a review the officials ruled it a good goal.
VAN – With 48 seconds left in the first, Tristen Nielsen got the Giants back even with a power play goal. Nielsen out-maneuvered two Moose Jaw defencemen off the rush before ripping home a shot past Bailey Brkin’s glove. Bowen Byram and Dylan Plouffe earned assists.
VAN – Tristen Nielsen struck again at 9:19. This time he knocked in his own rebound in close. Justin Sourdif and Milos Roman both assisted.
MJ – Eric Alarie was stopped on a penalty shot at 10:22.
VAN – Justin Sourdif increased the lead to 3-1 at 13:24. Sourdif’s sixth was assisted by Tristen Nielsen, giving him his third point of the night.
Shots: 12-10 Moose Jaw
VAN – Lukas Svejkovsky notched the game’s final goal at 7:11 of a tic-tac-toe play with Sergei Alkhimov and Dylan Plouffe.
Shots: 13-5 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 4 – Moose Jaw 1
Final Shots: 31 – 25 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 24/25 saves for Vancouver (4-1)
Bailey Brkin: 27/31 saves for Moose Jaw (5-2)
Vancouver: 1/4 on the Power Play
Moose Jaw: 5/5 on the Power Play
- Tristen Nielsen (VAN – 2G, 1A)
- Justin Sourdif (VAN – 1G, 1A)
- Owen Hardy (MJ – 1G)
Next Game: The Giants wrap up their Prairie trip tomorrow night in Regina at 6:00 PM PT.
- Giants goaltenders are two-for-two on penalty shots so far this week. Trent Miner stopped Riley McKay on Wednesday in Saskatoon and David Tendeck stopped Eric Alarie tonight.
- Tristen Nielsen has now recorded three goals and four assists for seven points over the course of his four-game point streak.
- Dylan Plouffe also extended his point-streak to four games thanks to his two assists. He has one goal and five assists in that span.