The Vancouver Giants (31-21-3-2) kicked off their weekend in winning fashion Friday in front of over 4000-strong at the Langley Events Centre. Bowen Byram had a goal and an assist while Trent Miner turned aside 18 Victoria Royals shots for the shutout in a 3-0 victory. Trevor Longo and Milos Roman added goals for Vancouver who now sits second in the B.C. Division. The Giants and Royals will still meet twice more this weekend starting tomorrow night at 7:05 PM in Victoria.
GIANTS DRAW FIRST BLOOD IN THE THREE-IN-THREE WEEKEND
VAN – Trevor Longo (6) opened the scoring for the Giants at 11:24 off a shot from the right-wing that snuck through a screen and past Royals goaltender Adam Evanoff. Cole Shepard and Holden Katzalay earned assists.
Shots: 17-6 Vancouver
Shots: 8-4 Vancouver
VAN – Bowen Byram (11) pushed the lead to 2-0 at 15:24 off a shot from the left-wing circle. Seth Bafaro and Tyler Preziuso helped set up the eventual insurance marker of the game.
VAN – Milos Roman (23) helped cement the victory for the Giants at 18:36 into an empty net. Bowen Byram and Eric Florchuk both assisted. For Byram it was his 100th career assist. For Florchuk it extended his league-leading point streak to 14 games.
Shots: 10-8 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 3 – Victoria 0
Final Shots: 35 – 18 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 18/18 saves for Vancouver (13-8-2-1)
Adam Evanoff: 32/34 saves for Victoria (5-14-1-0)
Vancouver Power Play: 0/2
Victoria Power Play: 0/1
- Bowen Byram (VAN – 1G, 1A)
- Trevor Longo (VAN – 1G, GWG)
- Trent Miner (VAN – 18 Saves, Shutout)
Next Game: The Giants face the Victoria Royals tomorrow night at 7:05 PM in Victoria.
“We played well in the first period. We did a good job of sustaining pressure. We played the way we needed to play. We know we can be better though, and we’ll have to be better tomorrow in Victoria. But it was a good start to the weekend.” – Giants head coach Michael Dyck
- The Vancouver Giants and Victoria Royals now both have 67 points in the B.C. Division standings. But since the Giants have played two fewer games, they sit in second place.
- Bowen Byram recorded his 100th career assist on Milos Roman’s third period goal.
- Friday’s victory marked the fourth career WHL shutout of Trent Miner’s career.
- The Giants are now 5-3 against Victoria this season and have won four straight meetings.