Saturday night in Kennewick, WA the Vancouver Giants skated to a 6-3 victory over the Tri-City Americans. Justin Sourdif paced the Giants attack with two goals and two assists while Dylan Plouffe (1G, 2A), Bowen Byram (2A), Jackson Shepard (2A) and Evan Patrician (2A) also chipped in with multi-point games. Nick Bowman scored twice for Tri-City who got 43 saves from goaltender Beck Warm. The goaltending tandem of David Tendeck and Trent Miner combined for 21 saves for Vancouver.
SOURDIF’S FOUR POINT NIGHT LEADS THE GIANTS TO A ROAD WIN
TC – 7:41 into the game, Brian McAndrews registered his first WHL goal to put Tri-City ahead 1-0.
VAN – Dylan Plouffe responded for the Giants at 9:58 on a five-minute major power play chance to even the score at 1-1. Justin Sourdif and Evan Patrician had the assists.
TC – Nick Bowman restored the Tri-City lead at 18:37 on a power play.
TC – 61 seconds later, Bowman knocked home a Krystof Hrabik rebound off the rush to make it a 3-1 Tri-City lead.
Shots: 16-7 Vancouver
*Trent Miner replaced David Tendeck in the Giants net.
VAN – Lukas Svejkovsky moved the Giants back within a goal at 13:07 when his shot from the slot, switched directions and slid past Beck Warm. Dylan Plouffe assisted on Svejkovsky’s third of the season.
VAN – Justin Sourdif tied the game at 18:30 off a shot from the right-wing off the rush. Bowen Byram and Alex Kannok Leipert had the helpers.
Shots: 17-8 Vancouver
VAN – Cole Shepard moved the Giants ahead at the 5:35 mark when he re-directed Bowen Byram’s pass through Beck Warm. Evan Patrician also secured an assist, giving him his second of the night.
VAN – Dylan Plouffe provided the insurance marker for the Giants at 15:10 off a one-timer from the left-wing point. Justin Sourdif and Jackson Shepard both assisted.
VAN – Justin Sourdif ended all hopes of a Tri-City comeback with an empty-ne goal at 18:38. Sourdif’s eighth of the season was assised by Jackson Shepard.
Final Score: Vancouver 6 – Tri-City 3
Final Shots: 49 – 24 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 4/7 saves for Vancouver
Trent Miner: 17/17 saves for Vancouver (3-4-1-0)
Beck Warm: 43/48 saves for Tri-City (6-6-0-1)
Vancouver Power Play: 1/7
Tri-City Power Play: 1/4
- Bowen Byram (VAN – 2 assists)
- Beck Warm (TC – 43 Saves)
- Nick Bowman (TC – Two goals)
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow night at 4:00 PM against the Medicine Hat Tigers at home.
- The Giants played most of Saturday’s game down two forwards as both Tristen Nielsen (lower body) and Krz Plummer (upper body) left the game with first period injuries.
- With two goals and two assists, 2020 NHL Draft prospect Justin Sourdif recorded the first four-point game of his young WHL career.
- The Giants have defeated the Tri-City Americans in each of their past five meetings dating back to the start of last season.
- With 15 points, Dylan Plouffe is tied for third in WHL scoring amongst defencemen.