Friday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants (15-16-2-0) secured a single point in a 3-2 overtime setback at the hands of the Prince George Cougars (14-17-1-1.) Ethan Samson struck twice for Prince George, including 1:58 into overtime, giving the visitors their first win of the season on the road against Vancouver. Zack Ostapchuk responded with a pair of assists for the G-Men while Justin Lies (5) and Justin Sourdif (9) added the goals. Giants goaltender Jesper Vikman made 35 saves while Cougars starter Tyler Brennan made 37 saves for the victory.
GIANTS SNAG A SINGLE POINT AT HOME
VAN – At 11:43 of the opening frame, Justin Lies followed up a Zack Ostapchuk rebound off the rush, and tucked a backhand shot through Tyler Brennan’s legs and home for his fifth goal of the season. Adam Hall tacked on the second assist.
Shots: 16-14 Vancouver
VAN – Giants captain Justin Sourdif increased the Giants lead to 2-0 at 4:32 off a shot from the left-wing point that switched directions and beat Brennan. Sourdif’s ninth was set up by Zack Ostapchuk.
PG – Ethan Samson put the Cougars on the board at 12:37 when his point shot snuck through a maze of bodies and home for his seventh goal of the season. Hudson Thornton and Carlin Dezainde both netted assists.
PG – Exactly two minutes later, Koehn Ziemmer snapped a low shot home from the left wing off the rush to tie the score. The lone assist came from Riley Heidt on Ziemmer’s 11th of the campaign.
Shots: 12-7 Prince George
At 10:09 of the period, Koehn Ziemmer was awarded a penalty shot for Prince George. Jesper Vikman stopped the penalty shot attempt, keeping the score at 2-2.
Shots: 14-8 Vancouver
PG – Ethan Samson ended the game at the 1:58 mark of overtime, securing the extra point for the Prince George Cougars. Samson’s second goal of the night came off a Connor Bowie rebound, on a backhand shot from in front of the Giants goal. The second assist was credited to Jonny Hooker.
Shots: 4-2 Prince George
Final Score: Prince George 3 – Vancouver 2 (OT)
Final Shots: 39 – 38 Vancouver
Jesper Vikman: 35/38 saves for Vancouver
Tyler Brennan: 37/39 saves for Prince George
PG Power Play: 0/1
VAN Power Play: 0/0
- Justin Sourdif (VAN – 1G)
- Ethan Samson (PG – 2G)
- Jesper Vikman (VAN – 35 Saves)
Next Game: The Vancouver Giants return to action tomorrow night at 7:00 PM against the same Prince George Cougars at home.
- Zack Ostapchuk recorded his fourth multi-point game of the season for the Giants thanks to his two assist effort on Friday.
- Justin Sourdif has a goal and two assists in two games since returning from the World Juniors.
- The Giants home record is now 3-0-1-0 against Prince George and 4-3-1-0 overall.
- The Giants are two points up on the Cougars in the Western Conference standings heading into tomorrow night’s rematch. The Giants have 32 points and are sixth, while the Cougars have 30 points and are seventh.
- Giants goaltenders are now 2/3 on the season facing penalty shots.
- The Giants overtime record is now 2-2.