Friday night at the Toyota Center in Kennewick, WA the Vancouver Giants (9-7-1-0) earned a 3-1 victory over the Tri-City Americans (4-10-2-0). The Giants erased a 1-0 first period deficit with three unanswered goals from Ty Thorpe, Justin Sourdif and Fabian Lysell. Alex C otton added a pair of assists and Jesper Vikman made 21 saves to earn his eighth win of the season. Sasha Mutala had Tri-City’s lone goal while goaltender Tomas Suchanek made 33 saves.
GIANTS SNAG THEIR NINTH WIN
TC – In just his second game of the season, Colorado Avalanche prospect Sasha Mutala opened the scoring for Tri-City by deflecting a Carson Haynes point shot through the legs of Jesper Vikman from in close. Mitchell Brown provided the second assist.
Shots: 9-5 Vancouver
VAN – Ty Thorpe answered for Vancouver on a power play at 7:00. Alex Cotton’s initial point shot was stopped by Tomas Suchanek, but the rebound popped perfectly to Ty Thorpe in the slot and he did the rest. Justin Sourdif earned the second helper on Thorpe’s sixth goal of the season.
Shots: 12-9 Vancouver
VAN – The Giants took the lead at 2:30 when captain Justin Sourdif took a feed from Ty Thorpe, powered his way through the slot and snapped home his eighth of the season over the glove of Tomas Suchanek. Fabian Lysell notched the second assist.
VAN – With time winding down in the third period, Fabian Lysell provided the Giants with the insurance marker at 17:06. He snuck past the defense, took an Alex Cotton feed at the Tri-City blueline and ripped a shot through Tomas Suchanek’s legs and in for his fifth of the campaign.
Shots: 15 – 8 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 3 – Tri-City 1
Final Shots: 36 – 22 Vancouver
Jesper Vikman: 21/22 Saves for Vancouver
Tomas Suchanek: 33/36 Saves for Tri-City
Vancouver Power Play: 1/5
Tri-City Power Play: 0/4
- Justin Sourdif (VAN – 1G, 1A)
- Tomas Suchanek (TC – 33 Saves)
- Fabian Lysell (VAN – 1G, 1A)
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow night in Spokane at 7:05 PM.
- The Giants improved their road record to 4-3-1-0 with Friday’s win.
- Justin Sourdif now has three goals and four assists for seven points during his current four-game point streak.
- Justin Sourdif now has 10 multi-point games in his first 16 games this season.
- With two points on Friday, Alex Cotton now has three goals and four assists for seven points in his first six games with the Giants.
- Ty Thorpe has now matched his previous season high for points (18) which he set previously in 2019-20. That season he had 18 points in 62 games. This season he has 18 points in 17 games.
- Fabian Lysell drew three of Tri-City’s five minor penalties on the evening.