Wednesday night in Kamloops the Vancouver Giants (32-23-3-2) fell 4-2 to the Kamloops Blazers (38-17-3-1). Max Martin supplied a goal and two assists for Kamloops while Kyrell Sopotyk added a goal and an assist. Milos Roman responded with a goal and an assist for the Giants. Beween the pipes, Rayce Ramsay stopped 23 of 25 shots for Kamloops, while Trent Miner (16/19) and Drew Sim (19/20) combined for 35 saves for Vancouver. It was the first win in four tries for Kamloops against Vancouver.
GIANTS REMAIN IN SECOND PLACE IN B.C. DIVISION
KAM – Max Martin (13) opened the scoring at 10:12 off a failed clear. Kyrell Sopotyk and Tyler Carpendale both assisted.
Shots: 17-8 Kamloops
KAM – 37 seconds into the middle frame, Brodi Stuart extended the Kamloops lead off a high shot from the slot. Josh Pillar and Max Martin both factored in on Stuart’s ninth goal of the season.
KAM – 31 seconds later Kyrell Sopotyk increased the Kamloops lead to 3-0 off a shot from the right-wing off the rush that beat Trent Miner stick side. Max Martin had the lone assist on Sopotyk’s seventh goal, which spelled the end of Trent Miner’s night.
VAN – Justin Sourdif (25) put the Giants on the board off an odd-man rush with Milos Roman at 15:46.
VAN – 41 seconds later the Giants caught on a break on a power play when the Blazers clearing attempt deflected off the referee and right to Tyler Preziuso at the side of the Kamloops goal. Preziuso then centered a pass to Milos Roman (24) who wired it home to make it a 3-2 game.
Shots: 11-6 Kamloops
KAM – Ryan Hughes (21) provided some important insurance for the Blazers at 12:22. He parked himself in the right-wing circle and one-timed a Connor Zary pass that just snuck past a stretched Drew Sim.
Final Score: Kamloops 4 – Vancouver 2
Final Shots: 39-25 Kamloops
Trent Miner: 16/19 saves for Vancouver (14-10-2-1)
Drew Sim: 10/20 saves for Vancouver
Rayce Ramsay: 23/25 saves for Kamloops (12-8-1-0)
Vancouver Power Play: 1/4
Kamloops Power Play: 0/4
- Max Martin (KAM – 1G, 2A)
- Kyrell Sopotyk (KAM – 1G, 1A)
- Ryan Hughes (Kam – 1G)
Next Giants Game: Friday night in Prince George against the Cougars at 7:00 PM.
- Drew Sim’s first taste of WHL regular season hockey spanned 36:58. The 2003-born product of Tees, AB stopped 19/20 shots and enters the weekend with a 1.60 goals-against-average and a .950 save percentage.
- 22 of Justin Sourdif’s 25 goals this season have been scored at even strength.
- Over the course of his past nine games, Milos Roman has scored seven goals along with five assists for 12 points. Only once in that seven-game span has Roman been held without a point.
- The Giants are now 3-5-1-0 this season against Kamloops.
- Heading into the weekend the Giants remain in second place in the B.C. Division standings. Their 69 points has them tied with Victoria, but the Giants have played one less game than the Royals have.