Saturday night at the Langley Events Centre in front of 4000-plus the Vancouver Giants (33-13-2-1) skated to their 33rd win of the season – A 4-2 triumph over the Prince George Cougars (16-29-3-2). Dylan Plouffe led the charge offensively for the Giants with a goal and two assists while Calgary Flames prospect Milos Roman added a pair of goals. Rookie forward Justin Sourdif broke open a 2-2 tie with his 13th goal with 5:09 remaining in the game to give the Giants their third and final lead of the night. Josh Maser and Cole Moberg had goals in response for the Cougars who got 28 saves from goaltender Isaiah DiLaura. Trent Miner stopped 15 of the 17 shots he faced in the Vancouver goal to earn his 17th win of the season.
VAN – Calgary Flames prospect Milos Roman (19) opened the scoring at 3:15 of the opening period on a power play. Dylan Plouffe and Davis Koch both earned helpers.
PG – Cole Moberg (10) answered for the Cougars at 11:13 off a seeing-eye shot from the right-wing point that snuck through traffic and past Trent Miner.
Shots: 11-6 Vancouver
VAN – Dylan Plouffe restored the Giants lead at 11:35 of the second when he followed up a Brayden Watts rebound at the left side of the goal. Bowen Byram earned an assist on Dylan Plouffe’s fifth of the season.
PG – With three seconds left in the period, Josh Maser backhanded home his team-leading 19th goal of the season, tying the game at 2-2.
Shots: 11-6 Vancouver
VAN – With time winding down in the game, rookie Justin Sourdif took the game into his own hands. After winning a race to a Dylan Plouffe pass, Sourdif skated wide down the right wing, cut to the front of the net and roofed his 13th of the season up and over Isaiah DiLaura’s shoulder to give the Giants their third and final lead of the night. Sourdif’s goal came at 14:51.
VAN – Milos Roman cemented the victory for the Giants at 19:13 with an empty netter. Roman’s 20th goal was assisted by both Davis Koch and Jared Dmytriw.
Shots: 10-5 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 4 – Prince George 2
Final Shots: 32-17 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 15/17 saves for Vancouver (17-4-1-0)
Isaiah DiLaura: 28/31 saves for Prince George (4-9-1-1)
Vancouver: 1/5 on the Power Play
Prince George: 1/2 on the Power Play
- Dylan Plouffe (VAN – 1G, 2A)
- Justin Sourdif (VAN – 1G)
- Milos Roman (VAN – 2G)
Next Giants Game: Tuesday night in Prince George against the Cougars at 7:00 PM.
- The Giants improved their record to 5-1 on the season against Prince George and are now 3-1 against them at home.
- With their 20th win at home the Giants have matched their home win total from a season ago and they accomplished this feat with seven home games still remaining (and two fewer home games on the schedule).
- Trent Miner is now 3-0 against the Cougars this season with a 1.67 goals-against-average and a .941 save percentage.
- Milos Roman became the second Giant this season to reach the 20-goal mark joining Davis Koch. The Calgary Flames prospect now has 20 goals and 19 assists for 39 points through 43 games played.
- The Giants will battle the Cougars three times over the next seven days, beginning Tuesday with the start of a Northern double-header.