Sunday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants (25-20-3-2) extended their winning streak to six straight thanks to a 7-3 victory over the Kamloops Blazers. The Giants scored five third period goals and were led by the duo of Tyler Preziuso (2G, 2A) and Eric Florchuk (2G, 1A). Three other Giants (Byram, Nielsen, Lies) had multi-point games while David Tendeck made 34 saves to earn his fourth straight victory. He also stopped Connor Zary on a first period penalty shot. Ryan Hughes led the Blazers with a goal and an assist. The Giants scored three more times on the power play, making it seven straight games with a power play goal.
GIANTS EARN THIRD STRAIGHT WIN OVER KAMLOOPS
KAM – 5:22 into the first, Logan Stankoven (18) gave Kamloops the lead off the rush. Kyrell Sopotyk provided the lone assist.
*David Tendeck stopped Connor Zary on a penalty shot attempt at 11:36. Keeping the game at 1-0.
VAN – Cole Shepard (10) responded with a highlight reel goal at 14:03. Shepard took the puck wide to the outside along the left-wing before cutting to the front of the net and tucking a backhand shot past Rayce Ramsay.
Shots: 13-11 Kamloops
VAN – Tristen Nielsen (24) gave the Giants their first lead of the night on a one-timer that came via a five-on-three power play. Bowen Byram and Eric Florchuk both earned assists.
KAM – The Blazers responded at 18:17 when Orrin Centazzo (36) answered with a power play marker of his own.
Shots: 11-8 Kamloops
VAN – The Giants power play clicked again at 7:07 of the third period when Eric Florchuk (17) tucked home his first of two goals on the night past the left pad of Ramsay on a backhand. Tyler Preziuso and Bowen Byram earned assists.
KAM – Ryan Hughes (19) answered back for Kamloops off the rush at 10:15. He was set up by Brodi Stuart and Libor Zabransky.
VAN – Tyler Preziuso’s (21) power play goal at 13:55 would stand as the game winner for the Giants. Milos Roman and Tristen Nielsen both earned assists. That goal helped match last season’s goal total for Preziuso.
VAN – Eric Florchuk’s (18) second of the night came off a slick feed from Justin Lies at 15:09 to give the Giants their first two-goal cushion of the night.
VAN – Tyler Preziuso made it 6-3 into an empty net at 16:40. Trevor Longo earned the lone assist as Preziuso arrived at his fourth point of the night.
VAN – Holden Katzalay (5) then extended his goal-scoring streak to three straight games at 17:06 off a setup from both Justin Lies and Kaden Kohle.
Final Score: Vancouver 7 – Kamloops 3
Final Shots: 37-32 Kamloops
David Tendeck: 34/37 saves for Vancouver (15-13-1-1)
Rayce Ramsay: 25/31 saves for Kamloops (6-7-1-0)
Vancouver Power Play: 3/6
Kamloops Power Play: 1/4
- Tyler Preziuso (VAN – 2G, 2A)
- Eric Florchuk (VAN – 2G, 1A)
- Ryan Hughes (KAM – 1G, 1A)
Next Game: Wednesday night at the LEC against the Red Deer Rebels at 7:00 PM. Get tickets HERE.
- The Giants power play has now scored in seven straight games. Since the trade deadline the power play is now 21/47 (44.6%)
- In three games this week, Tyler Preziuso recorded five goals and three assists for eight points.
- Holden Katzalay has scored in each of his past three games and has three goals and two assists for five points in that span.
- David Tendeck is two-for-two on penalty shots this season. His other penalty shot save came on October 11th in Moose Jaw off Eric Alarie.
- The Giants are now six points back of Victoria for second in the B.C. Division and are six points clear of the Kelowna Rockets for third.