The Vancouver Giants are one win away from the Western Hockey League Championship series. Wednesday night in Spokane, WA the Giants earned a 4-3 come-from-behind overtime victory over the Spokane Chiefs. Dawson Holt, the WHL’s reigning Player of the Week ripped home his fifth of the playoffs at 7:07 of the first overtime, giving the Giants a 3-1 series lead. Jadon Joseph, Bowen Byram and Brayden Watts supplied the other goals for Vancouver while David Tendeck made 28 saves in goal. Adam Beckman had two goals in response for Spokane.
GET GAME 5 TICKETS
SPO – Adam Beckman (7) opened the scoring for the Chiefs at the 18:38 mark of the first period. His first of two goals on the night was assisted by Nolan Reid and Jaret Anderson-Dolan.
Shots: 17-5 Spokane
SPO – Adam Beckman wasn’t done. He notched his second of the game and eighth of the playoffs at 10:06 of the second period off a slick backhand shot that snuck past the blocker of David Tendeck. Ethan McIndoe had the lone helper on the play.
Shots: 9-8 Spokane
VAN – 4:26 into the third period the Giants got on the board when Jadon Joseph (7) parked himself in front of the Spokane goal and knocked a Tristen Nielsen rebound home. Davis Koch also assisted on the Giants opening marker of the game which came on a delayed Spokane penalty.
VAN – Bowen Byram (6) tied the game at 9:11 when his shot from the left-wing point on a Giants power play snuck through traffic and home. Milos Roman and Davis Koch earned assists.
VAN – 53 seconds later the Giants took the lead when Brayden Watts’ shot from the left-wingle circle ripped past Bailey Brkin. Watts’ fourth of the playoffs was assisted by Justin Sourdif and Milos Roman.
SPO – The Chiefs answered at 16:25 of the third when Riley Woods (7) banked a shot off a defender and across the line from the right side of the net.
Shots: 14-4 Vancouver
VAN – Dawson Holt (5) ended the game at 7:07 of overtime when his shot from the right-wing circle off the rush beat Brkin blocker side .Holt’s OT winner was set up by Alex Kannok Leipert and Bowen Byram.
Shots: 3-1 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 4 – Spokane 3 (OT)
Final Shots: 31-30 Spokane
David Tendeck: 28/31 saves for Vancouver (7-1-1)
Bailey Brkin: 26/30 saves for Spokane (9-4-1-0)
Vancouver: 1/2 on the Power Play
Spokane: 0/1 on the Power Play
- Bowen Byram (VAN – 1G, 1A)
- Adam Beckman (SPO – 2G)
- Dawson Holt (VAN – OTG)
Next Game: Friday night at 7:30 PM at the Langley Events Centre. A win for the Giants and they’ll advance to the Western Hockey League’s championship series.
- The Giants improved to 3-1 in overtime during the 2019 playoffs thanks to Wednesday’s win. Dawson Holt joins Tristen Nielsen (Round 2, Game 2 vs. Victoria) and Owen Hardy (Round 2, Game 3 vs. Victoria) on the list of Giants playoff goal scorers in 2019.
- The Giants power play improved to 4/8 in the series while the penalty kill now sits at 6/6. The power play has registered a goal in 13 of the Giants 14 playoff games.
- The Giants improved their 2019 road playoff record to 5-2.
- With a goal and an assist, Bowen Byram now sits second in playoff scoring with 16 points (6G, 10A)
- David Tendeck is 6-0-1-0 in his last seven playoff starts. He’s 7-1-1 over the course of the playoffs altogether.