The Vancouver Giants (7-3) are now tied with the Kamloops Blazers for the most wins in the B.C. Division. Sunday night at the Sandman Centre, Tristen Nielsen scored three times and Eric Florchuk added three assists in a 4-0 shutout victory over the Kamloops Blazers (7-2). Trent Miner stopped all 27 shots he faced to earn his league-leading fourth shutout. Zack Ostapchuk added a first period goal for the Giants.
GIANTS SECURE THEIR SEVENTH WIN OF THE SEASON
VAN – 3:34 into the first period, Zack Ostapchuk skated onto a Justin Lies clearing pass, raced wide on a Kamloops defenceman down the right-wing and snuck a backhand shot through Dylan Grand for his third of the season.
VAN – Tristen Nielsen extended the Giants lead with his team-leading ninth goal of the season. It came from the slot, off a slick feed from Justin Sourdif. With that assist, Justin Sourdif extended his point-streak to six straight games.
VAN – Tristen Nielsen potted his second of the game off a shot from the right-wing circle at 9:20. Nielsen’s goal came on the Giants first power play of the game, and was set up by Eric Florchuk and Marko Stacha.
VAN – Tristen Nielsen completed his second hat-trick of the season at 18:07 from in close at the right side of the Kamloops goal. His 11th goal of the season also came via the power play and was set up by Justin Sourdif and Eric Florchuk.
Shots: 11-4 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 4 – Kamloops 0
Final Shots: 32-27 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 27/27 saves for Vancouver (5-2)
Dylan Garand: 24/28 saves for Vancouver (6-2)
Vancouver Power Play: 2/5
Kamloops Power Play:; 0/2
- Tristen Nielsen (VAN – 3G)
- Justin Sourdif (VAN – 1A)
- Trent Miner (VAN – 27 Saves. Shutout)
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow night at 7:00 PM against Prince George.
- Tristen Nielsen has now scored goals in three straight games, and has five goals and an assist for six points in that span. He now has four goals and three assists for seven points in three meetings with Kamloops.
- Eric Florchuk (Three assists) posted his third three-point game of the season.
- Justin Sourdif extended his point-streak to six games. During that span he’s notched four goals and seven assists for 11 points.
- Trent Miner is 2-0 against Kamloops on the season and has now shut them out twice.
- Trent Miner is tops in the WHL in shutouts (4), goals-against average (1.20) and save percentage (.948)
- Five of the seven victories for the Giants this season have come via the shutout.
- The Giants power play has now scored four goals in their past two games.