Giants Fall 3-0 to the Portland Winterhawks
Friday night in Portland, OR the Vancouver Giants (32-13-2-1) suffered their first regulation loss in a span of 11 games. Reece Newkirk scored twice and Joachim Blichfeld added a goal and an assist as the Portland Winterhawks (31-14-3-2) downed the Giants 3-0 at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Shane Farkas turned aside all 24 shots he faced in the Portland net securing his fourth shutout of the season. Trent Miner stopped 26 shots in response for the Giants.
Shots: 11-6 Portland
POR – Joachim Blichfeld opened the game’ scoring at 8:48 with his league-leading 43rd goal of the season off a spin-and-shoot play from the slot. Jake Gricius and Josh Paterson drew the assists.
Shots: 9-7 Portland
POR – Reece Newkirk (19) extended Portland’s lead with his first of two goals in the third which came at 4:42 off a rush. Joachim Blichfeld earned the lone helper on the goal
POR – Newkirk (20) struck again at 19:16 into an empty net, rounding out the scoring for the Portland Winterhawks. Mason Mannek and Jake Gricius assisted on the play.
Shots: 11-9 Vancouver
Final Score: Portland 3 – Vancouver 0
Final Shots: 29-24 for Portland
Trent Miner: 26/28 saves for Vancouver (16-4-1-0)
Shane Farkas: 24/24 saves for Portland (26-10-3-2)
Portland: 0/2 on the Power Play.
Vancouver: 0/1 on the Power Play.
- Shane Farkas (POR – 24 Saves, SO)
- Joachim Blichfeld (POR – 1G,1A)
- Reece Newkirk (POR – 2G)
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow night at home against the Prince George Cougars at 7 PM.
- Friday’s loss marked the first regulation loss for the Vancouver Giants since January 4th (Lethbridge) – A span of 11 games.
- The Vancouver Giants have only managed a single power play in four of their past eight games.
- Trent Miner has surrendered two goals or fewer in six of his past seven appearances. During that span he’s 6-1.
- The Giants will head into tomorrow night’s game against Prince George with a 15 point lead on Victoria for first in the B.C. Division.